On the morning of 12th September, Monday at Devan Nair Institute, the training arm of Singapore Hotel Association, SHATEC, signed a (digital) Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with NTUC’s Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) and 12 hotel partners onboard our newly launched Hotel Apprenticeship Diploma Programme (HA-DiP).
1. Mr Lim Boon Kwee, Chief Executive Officer, SHATEC
2. Ms Joyce Chua, Hotel Manager, InterContinental Singapore
3. Ms Ivy Lau, Director of Human Resources, Amara Singapore
4. Ms Rachel Kong, Manager, Talent & Culture, Grand Mercure Singapore Roxy
5. Mr Stewart Fu, Complex Director of Learning and Development, The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore
6. Ms Evelyn Kue, Assistant Director of Talent and Culture, Raffles Hotel Singapore
7. Ms Alice Lee, Complex Director of Human Resources, JW Marriot Hotel Singapore South Beach |
The St. Regis Singapore
8. Ms Margie Tay, Director of Human Capital and Development, PARKROYAL COLLECTION Marina Bay, Singapore
9. Mr Leslie Lenus, Area Director of Talent and Culture, Novotel Singapore on Stevens |
Mercure Singapore on Stevens
10. Mr Kung Teong Wah, General Manager, PARKROYAL on Beach Road
11. (Witness) Ms Margaret Heng, Executive Director, Singapore Hotel Association
12. Mr Alan Ang, General Manager, The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore
13. Ms Caryn Lim, Chief Executive Officer, e2i
With Singapore’s travel and tourism performance swiftly recovering, a manpower crunch in the hotel and hospitality sector is becoming more pronounced. As part of the industry’s latest efforts in attracting a greater talent pool to join the hotel sector, the new 18-month programme will see jobseekers placed on an apprenticeship with hotel partners, after their first three months of institutional training on our campus in Bukit Batok.
Targeted at early jobseekers and mid-career switchers, the programme will provide customised training supported by industry mentorship to prepare trainees for the workforce and help them reach their potential.
SHATEC CEO Mr Lim Boon Kwee shared to Singapore media at the symposium, “Now is an opportune time [to launch the programme’]. The industry is short on staff, and we want to assist our member hotels as much as possible: by getting more talents into the industry earlier.”
As the employment and employability partner for this initiative, e2i will work together with the hotels and provide job-matching support for potential entrants to the industry.
“We partnered with e2i, drawing on their valuable network to expand the opportunities to the entire workforce in Singapore,” said Mr Lim.
Welcome Address for the e2i x SHATEC Hotel Symposium and MOU Signing Ceremony by
SHATEC’s Chief Executive Officer, Mr Lim Boon Kwee
Panellists for the topic “Gen X, Y and Zs in the Hotel Workplace: Connecting, Engaging and Retaining” include, from Left to Right: Ms Alice Lee, Complex Director of Human Resources, JW Marriot Hotel Singapore South Beach | The St. Regis Singapore; Mr Kung Teong Wah, General Manager, PARKROYAL on Beach Road; Chef Syahir Bin Osman, Head Production Chef, Iron Chef Foods (continued below)
(continued) Panellists include, from Left to Right: Ms Tay Zhi Xin, Guest Relations Officer, Fairmont Singapore; Mr Jason Pang, SHATEC Hospitality Student
Together with e2i and our hotel partners, SHATEC can co-create and empower a competitive new generation workforce to uphold Singapore’s continued leadership as a global travel destination!
You can also read more about the event and SHATEC's HA-DiP as covered by: